Thursday, November 4, 2010

Imke top - Sewing clothes kids love


The Imke pattern comes with many options. Long sleeves straight, tapered or flared. Short sleeves gathered or not. You can use the side panels like I did above. It can be made with a hood rounded or pointed, lined or unlined. If you don't use the hood they add a neck band but I felt this would be too busy with this top so I just turned the 5/8" seam allowance under. The patterns also don't have seam allowance so I must add these at the pattern tracing stage.

Once I had attached the sleeves and sew up the side seams I noticed that the sleeve has a very wide opening. I didn't like the way it was going to flop around if I just turned the edge under. To make it more fitted I have gathered a small amount opposite the gathering at the sleeve cap and added the band. I have modified the pattern for the sleeve now for next time. I also felt that the top was a bit wide at the sides So I have taken a small amount off the pattern for next time. The boys pattern for this top is much straighter so I may use that if I want a plain t-shirt or a singlet top.

The fish is a $2 iron on motif  we bought at the local craft shop. All the fabric in this top was given to me by sewers who are no longer sewing. So my thread and the fish is all I paid for in this top.

No comments:

Post a Comment